Description of Counseling
Description of Counseling
Adjustment Disorder Counseling
The main treatment for adjustment disorders is psychotherapy, counseling or talk therapy. Therapy can provide emotional support and help you get back to your normal routine. It can also help you learn why the stressful event affected you so much. As you understand more about this connection, you can learn healthy coping skills to help you deal with other stressful events that may arise.
- Identify events that cause you anger and respond in nonaggressive ways before you get angry
- Identify specific skills to use in situations likely to trigger your anger
- Recognize when thinking wrong about a situation, and correct your thinking
- Calm down when you begin to feel upset
- Express your feelings quietly in situations that make you feel angry
- Focus on solving the situation that concerns— instead of using energy to be angry, redirect your energy to resolve the situation
- Communicate clearly to defuse anger and resolve conflicts
Marriage counseling helps couples of all types recognize and resolve conflicts and improve their relationships. Through marriage counseling, you can make thoughtful decisions about rebuilding your relationship or going your separate ways.
Some couples seek marriage counseling to improve a troubled relationship. You can use marriage counseling to address many specific issues, including:
- Communication problems
- Sexual difficulties
- Conflicts about child rearing or blended families
- Substance abuse, Financial problems
- Anger, Infidelity
- You will be educated what is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and its central concepts.
- For depression, you and the counselor will prioritize problems and state the goals that will reduce the problems, talking through them and writing them down. This serves as the groundwork for all therapy sessions, being constantly reviewed and reworked if necessary.
- The most common goals are to:
- Reduce social isolation and withdrawal .
- Increase self-esteem.
- Reduce conflict in relationships.
- Engage in social activities
Individual Counseling is counseling focused on your immediate or near future concerns. Individual counseling may encompass career counseling and planning, grief after a loved one dies or dealing with problems at a job before they become big. Individual counseling is a one-on-one discussion between the counselor and the person seeking treatment. The two form an alliance, relationship or bond that enables trust and personal growth.
During psychotherapy, you learn about your condition and your moods, feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Psychotherapy helps you learn how to take control of your life and respond to challenging situations with healthy coping skills.
Psychotherapy is also known as talk therapy, counseling, psychosocial therapy or, simply, therapy.